[GSoC] Best proposal for community?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Apr 1 09:19:24 PDT 2011

On 2011-4-2 01:05 , Felipe Tanus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing this e-mail to discover what macports community needs more
> as GSoC project.
>
> As you might know, Erik will not be able to join GSoC project since he
> started to work on apple. His project, to develop a tool to download
> binary packages has no one to do. I might adopt that.
>
> I have currently 3 project ideas:
>
> 1) Check binary dependencies for ports.
>       Project idea: Scan for broken dynamic libraries for rebuild and
> Check dependencies after destroot
>       My will to do it: 5/5
>
> 2) Create binary tool to download packages (former Erik's)
>       Project idea: Binaries
>       My will to do it: 5/5
>
> 3) Upgrade port tool to download binaries and upgrade MPAB system
>       Project idea: Somewhat binary
>       My will to do it: 4/5
>
> Currently, I might end up applying just for the #1, because the
> proposal is wrote already, and I'm not really up to do #3 anymore just
> because the other couple of ideas are better.
>
> My point is that I could change my proposal #2. For this, I need your
> feedback: What is the project that is more important macports
> community?

Note that "Upgrade port tool to download binaries" is a non-starter
since it can already do that. There's nothing here that would not be
useful, so I would advise to go with whatever interests you most.

I think #1 would be easier, though I'm not sure if that's a plus or
minus. It's difficult to estimate how much of the summer you'll need to
grok the existing code and design yours, before you can really start
implementing. I would say that with #1 you should be thinking about how
best to use the information gathered, particularly when binaries are in
the mix.

- Josh