[GSoC][Binary dependency check] Proposal review

Felipe Tanus fotanus at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 20:13:01 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:38 AM, André Kaplan <ak.ml at laposte.net> wrote:

> Hi Felipe,
>
> Since you're asking...
>
> Pardon my French. First a few typos:
[...]

Thank you for correcting my english :-)
Soon I'll fix it.

> Well something I wanted to ask is why you want to write a TCL extension?
> Especially you don't mention existing MacOSX tools such as otool -L which is generally used to investigate library dependencies issues and is the equivalent of ldd.
> otool might help you a lot.
> Since gentoo's revdep-rebuild is using ldd, macport's rev-install/rev-upgrade could use otool.

I thought about write a Tcl extension because this piece of code will
be used over and over again on rev-upgrade, so I would like to avoid a
fork cost each time I needed it. Gentoo's redep-rebuild is really
nice, but we can do better, right? ;)

> I'd suggest you add the study of previous upgrades which caused a lot of ports to break, the last being libpng.
> And why not study the upgrade to libpng 1.5?

This suggestion is more than valid; That's sure something I might do.

Thank you

[]'s

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus at gmail.com
Blog: http://www.itlife.com.br
Site: http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~fotanus/
-----
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." - Gandalf