[GSoC][Binary dependency check] Proposal review

André Kaplan ak.ml at laposte.net
Fri Apr 1 07:38:59 PDT 2011

> I finished to write my GSoC proposal. It might be found here:
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/fotanus/1001#
>
> Any comments will be appreciated.

Hi Felipe,

Since you're asking...

Pardon my French. First a few typos:
software enginnering -> software engineering
in trouble latter -> in trouble later
has it's dynamic linked dependencies -> has its dynamic linked dependencies
port should consults the database -> port should consult the database

In your abstract:
When a port is installed or upgraded, there is a chance to it don't work properly because of a missing runtime dependency

I don't quite get this. ... there is a chance to it <missing words> don't work properly
I guess you meant other ports don't work anymore and users have no clue about it until they use them.

Well something I wanted to ask is why you want to write a TCL extension?
Especially you don't mention existing MacOSX tools such as otool -L which is generally used to investigate library dependencies issues and is the equivalent of ldd.
otool might help you a lot.
Since gentoo's revdep-rebuild is using ldd, macport's rev-install/rev-upgrade could use otool.

I'd suggest you add the study of previous upgrades which caused a lot of ports to break, the last being libpng.
And why not study the upgrade to libpng 1.5?

Regards,
André