Compiling from source (was Re: [78061] trunk/dports/devel/premake/Portfile)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 21 23:44:49 PDT 2011

On Apr 21, 2011, at 19:16, Blair Zajac wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I agree in general, but for Java packages, I don't see the point in compiling from source, unless we're applying patches.
>>
>> I didn't realize this was a Java package.
>
> I'm not saying it is, and I don't think it is (haven't checked), I was addressing the point about building from source.

I do agree that rebuilding Java software often doesn't help anything. Since Java code is compiled to an architecture-independent bytecode, there's no benefit to recompiling it.

premake, however, seems to be normal compiled Mac OS X software, which should please be compiled for the architecture(s) the user requests.