A Plea to Reduce Dependences (e.g., for swig)

M.E. O'Neill oneill at cs.hmc.edu
Tue Aug 16 15:52:08 PDT 2011

Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> If MacPorts didn't have a propensity to compile everything from source
>
> It doesn't do that by default anymore.

Strange, because when I look at

	http://packages.macports.org/pcre/

I find no packages for darwin11 (and no ppc packages either), and when I look at

	http://packages.macports.org/swig/

I find nothing at all.

And those binary packages, who builds them?  Are they signed?  Are we still building packages as root?

>> megabytes do matter when some people need to pay for bandwidth (e.g., over a 3G connection).
>
> Your development machine lives on a 3G connection?

My "development machine" is my laptop, and my laptop goes where I go.  It does not have constant broadband.  Sometimes it has no net connection at all.  Sometimes it has slow wi-fi.  Sometimes the only option for connectivity is via my phone.

    M.E.O.