A Plea to Reduce Dependences (e.g., for swig)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 16 16:03:19 PDT 2011

On Aug 16, 2011, at 15:27, Dan Ports wrote:

> [Speaking of which, I would think we should stop doing that; Java has
> been part of the base OS for years and I would be surprised if all of
> our Java ports really work with Kaffe instead. Does Kaffe itself even
> work nowadays?]

The ability to run java ports using kaffe has seemed entirely theoretical to me. We have a ticket from three years ago about kaffe not building on Leopard:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/25558

It also hasn't been updated in years.

So we could keep the kaffe dependencies in place, since they don't really hurt anything and will be satisfied by the system Java, on the supposition that kaffe would still work on non-Mac OS X systems. Or we could acknowledge that nobody uses MacPorts on non-Mac OS X systems and take them out.