[83358] trunk/dports/net/fetch

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 30 23:51:53 PDT 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 01:15, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> depends_lib	lib:libfetch.5:libfetch port:openssl
>>
>> Can you rewrite this as a port: dependency please?
>
> There's a sover bump around the corner, so it wanted
> to make sure that the dependency is also upgraded...
> I know that MacPorts now auto-upgrades everything,
> and that it doesn't yet have versioned dependencies.
>
> But using port: dependencies seem like a step back,
> since it's losing dependency information (i.e. "5") ?

I'm not aware of this additional information ever having been helpful.

lib:- and bin:-style dependencies would allow a file (in this case libfetch.5.dylib) located outside the MacPorts prefix to satisfy the dependency. We don't want that, so you should almost always use port:- or path:-style dependencies.