[83358] trunk/dports/net/fetch

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Aug 31 00:07:49 PDT 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> There's a sover bump around the corner, so it wanted
>> to make sure that the dependency is also upgraded...
>> I know that MacPorts now auto-upgrades everything,
>> and that it doesn't yet have versioned dependencies.
>>
>> But using port: dependencies seem like a step back,
>> since it's losing dependency information (i.e. "5") ?
>
> I'm not aware of this additional information ever having been helpful.
>
> lib:- and bin:-style dependencies would allow a file (in this case libfetch.5.dylib) located outside the MacPorts prefix to satisfy the dependency. We don't want that, so you should almost always use port:- or path:-style dependencies.

Well, if you have a package depending on libfetch.5.dylib
and the package providing libfetch.5.dylib is upgraded to
libfetch.6.dylib the system is able to notice this and
complain about the missing dependency without a revupgrade.

If you don't have such version information in the dependencies,
you're at the mercy of detecting such linking errors at runtime
and upgrading the providing port. But I'm changing it to a port:
dependency, just gettting the +universal flags right first...

--anders