buildbot: pkg-config.1.gz: no such file or directory

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 6 17:54:03 PST 2011

This buildbot log contains a curiosity:

http://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-snowleopard-x86_64/builds/3505/steps/compile/logs/stdio

Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log for details)
DEBUG: Backtrace: shell command failed (see log for details)
    while executing
"command_exec build"
    (procedure "portbuild::build_main" line 8)
    invoked from within
"$procedure $targetname"

Warning: the following items did not execute (for evas): org.macports.activate org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install

Error: Failed to install evas
DEBUG: could not read "/opt/local/share/man/man1/pkg-config.1.gz": no such file or directory
    while executing
"file type $file"

Log for evas is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_Volumes_work_mports_dports_devel_evas/evas/main.log

The port that failed to build is evas (for unrelated reasons that I'm investigating). Why is MacPorts at this juncture interested in the file /opt/local/share/man/man1/pkg-config.1.gz? (I guess it's trying to uninstall it?) This revision updated several ports, several of which built successfully before evas failed, so pkgconfig was probably installed somewhere along the way. Perhaps the better question is: Why doesn't pkg-config.1.gz exist, since the previous line that mentions pkg-config.1.gz is its successful activation?

I'm trying to find out if we have a buildbot bug, an MPAB bug, a base bug, or a port bug.

Another question is why it says "Error: Failed to install evas", or rather, why, when another port, embryo, failed its configure phase earlier in the same log, it *didn't* say "Error: Failed to install embryo". This message comes from the catch block in _mportexec in src/macports1.0/macports.tcl.