issue #32479: internal compiler error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 10 12:35:07 PST 2011

On Dec 10, 2011, at 14:21, Titus von Boxberg wrote:

> Am 10.12.2011 um 20:23 schrieb Petr Vanek:
>
>> there is a compiler crash report for one of my apps. It's very strange - it looks like it's a bug in the compiler.
>> GCC version used by reporter is
>>
>>  CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++-4.0
>>
>> It's a very old one. What is usual procedure to track these kind of bugs, please?
>
> I think that OSX 10.4 is unsupported by MP.
> The procedure would be to upgrade OSX and Developer Tools to a supported version.
>
> Otherwise the reporter might try to install a newer compiler and configure it as the default compiler.
> However, I don't know if that has a chance to work.

Apple gcc-4.0.1 is the default version of gcc in Tiger's and Leopard's versions of Xcode. Leopard's Xcode also contains Apple gcc-4.2.1 that can be used instead if desired; Tiger's Xcode doesn't. And I see that this ticket is about Tiger.

MacPorts base still runs on Tiger and Leopard but support for those operating systems for individual ports is at those ports' maintainers' discretion. They may not have the time or inclination or knowledge or available computers to troubleshoot and resolve issues with these older OS X versions. If ports are found to not work on earlier OS X versions, and cannot be made to do so, they should instead be made to fail early with a suitable error message; see the transmission port for a good example.