macfuse

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Fri Dec 23 04:17:00 PST 2011

Yes, I've been giving some thought lately to the question of whether
we should remove this port.

It is certainly deprecated: any ports that depend on it default to
using fuse4x to satisfy the dependency instead. The macfuse port also
refuses to install for anyone who's using a 64-bit kernel.

One argument against removing the port is that fuse4x isn't ABI
compatible with MacFUSE. That's hardly an issue for dependent ports, of
course, but would break compatibility with non-MacPorts binaries that
link against the framework. I'm told that's an issue for some MacFUSE
users, although it's not clear how many of them are getting it from
MacPorts (or if it's really something we want to support anyway.)

Dan
(who, incidentally, feels a certain kinship with "ports" systems. :-)

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/