macfuse

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Fri Dec 23 18:55:54 PST 2011

On Dec 23, 2011, at 4:17 AM, Dan Ports wrote:

> Yes, I've been giving some thought lately to the question of whether
> we should remove this port.
>
> It is certainly deprecated: any ports that depend on it default to
> using fuse4x to satisfy the dependency instead. The macfuse port also
> refuses to install for anyone who's using a 64-bit kernel.
>
> One argument against removing the port is that fuse4x isn't ABI
> compatible with MacFUSE. That's hardly an issue for dependent ports, of
> course, but would break compatibility with non-MacPorts binaries that
> link against the framework. I'm told that's an issue for some MacFUSE
> users, although it's not clear how many of them are getting it from
> MacPorts (or if it's really something we want to support anyway.)

Please make fuse4x build on PPC before removing MacFUSE.

$ sudo port -v install fuse4x
--->  Computing dependencies for fuse4x.
Error: Cannot install fuse4x for the arch(s) 'ppc' because
Error: its dependency fuse4x-kext does not build for the required arch(s) by default
Error: and the configured universal_archs 'x86_64 i386' are not sufficient.
Error: Unable to execute port: architecture mismatch

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)