macfuse

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sun Dec 25 23:26:39 PST 2011

On Dec 26, 2011, at 6:14 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I understand that working at a large company such as Apple you have access to the latest and greatest hardware, but not everyone is so lucky. Our standing documented policy is to support the current and previous OS. If maintainers want to support more than that, great. I personally try to accommodate Leopard and Tiger and PowerPC if I can.

Not that it matters much, but just to nip that misconception in the bud:  I don't get the latest and greatest hardware because I work at Apple (there's an old saying about the cobbler's children always having worn out shoes which might apply here).  I get it because I go and buy it at the store, just like everyone else. :-)

> On the contrary: if all you have is an old Mac with an old OS, you might very well want to get newer software onto it, and MacPorts is a great way to do that.

If everyone really wants to provide this level of support then it would be rather Grinchy of me to say that you should not, of course, I'm just arguing (in essence) that the old can also hold back the new if you're not careful.  That particular bit of perspective IS a product of working at Apple, where I see first hand the often mighty struggles that go into supporting the older HW and SW and how much it can also impede the process of cleaning up and simplifying the overall system.   Be charitable but also pragmatic, would be my best advice.

> We have had binary packages (for Snow Leopard x86_64) for months already. We requested a Lion buildbot from Mac OS Forge three months ago in order to make Lion binaries but have received no response to this request.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32337

I'm sorry to hear that - I thought all of that had been handled.  I'll go prod folks on my end just as soon as I get back to the U.S.

Cheers,

- Jordan