archive_sites in Portfiles

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jan 7 14:33:32 PST 2011

On 2011-1-8 01:42 , Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 10:39 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>>
>>> I thought we decided before that we don't want individual maintainers distributing archives, but that we want a central server farm creating and distributing them?
>>
>> Will the build farm handle all supported combinations of OS and architecture?
>>
>> Will the distfile policy change similarly, requiring everyone to download distfiles from official MacPorts mirrors?
>
> How about we go with Jeremy's idea until the central server build farm magic is all built and running?
>
> We can have people on the DEV list playing with archives for a while so we know what parts of the user experience need attention and whatnot before announcing it to 'normal' end-users...

The best way to achieve that is by using the environment variable (or a
locally customised _resources/port1.0/fetch/archive_sites.tcl),
otherwise it won't just be people on the -dev list testing the feature.

The only reason there is an archive_sites option visible from portfiles
is that the archive fetch code was structured the same as fetch so it
could share the code in fetch_common.

- Josh