Fwd: libpng transition?

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Thu Jan 20 19:21:13 PST 2011

> I am correct to assume that the current method is to just reversion bump any package that needs libpng
> and pray that the build sequence for the user ends up with the libpng 1.4.x upgrade happening before
> the revision bumped package that uses libpng? Yuck.

Last I heard, the build sequence follows the dependency tree.

The other option is let loose this command on your MacPorts repo and then you'll know for sure what needs done:

for i in /opt/local/bin/* /opt/local/sbin/* /opt/local/lib/*dylib /opt/local/lib/*/*dylib; do otool -L $i 2>/dev/null | grep -q libpng12; [ $? -eq 0 ] && port provides $i; done | awk '{print $NF}' | sort -u

It scans for things using libpng12 in [s]bin, and lib and its immediate folders. It then asks MacPorts which packages provide that file, finally giving you a list of the packages that need rebuilt.

You'll notice a *dylib pattern for the library items: it can be expanded to just * if you're worried about missing files. Since I'm redirecting errors from otool, you can run it on folders and won't see noise from them.

If you have ports that aren't revbumped, that is they continue to show up in the above command after having done a selfupdate/upgrading outdated ports, please file a ticket or at least send a list of the ports to us.