Upcoming Subversion 1.7

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 16 14:28:18 PDT 2011

On Jul 16, 2011, at 14:44, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Normally, we only have a single Subversion release in MacPorts, but with the 1.7 release and its rewrite of the working copy library that switches to SQLite, I'm thinking it would be best to have MacPorts have both 1.6 and 1.7.  I can imagine companies where they won't be upgrading to 1.7 on other operating systems, e.g. Linux, and you'll want to have MacPort's svn continue to use the 1.6 working copies when they are shared over the network.
>
> Do people think this is a large issue that we should have two svn versions?

I would not expect that to be needed. All Subversion 1.x clients are supposed to work with all Subversion 1.x servers, so the only possible issue would be as you say shared working copies, which are never recommended anyway.

Users who want Subversion 1.6 can still do so by following the how-to:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort

Or they can use the svn client built into Snow Leopard (or, I expect, Lion).

If many users complain, a subversion16 port could be created later, but I wouldn't worry about that for now unless it proves to be a big issue for people.