[79340] trunk/dports/net/miniupnpc/Portfile

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Fri Jun 10 05:00:48 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
> On 2011-6-10 16:43 , Andrea D'Amore wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>> The epoch is the most significant number for MacPorts when determining if a port is outdated. When MacPorts says that "miniupnpc 1.5_0" is installed, it really means "2_1.5_0" because the epoch is 2. In r79340 you changed it to "0_1.5_1" by removing the epoch line and adding the revision.
> 1.5_1 compares as newer than 1.5_0, sure. But does it also compare newer
> than every previous version this port has had? Given that it was
> necessary to set a non-zero epoch at some point, this is far from
> guaranteed.

> You can't assume that everyone will be upgrading from the immediately
> previous version.

I see the point.

> Epoch is just an integer that has to be increased when a newer version
> looks older to rpm-vercomp than an older one. Upstream's versioning
> scheme doesn't determine the epoch.

portfile man page has a timestamp as an example of epoch and I think
that's a very reasonable value for a growing integer: using the
timestamp the portfile is being modified guarantees mp correctly
handles outdated ports.

In this case I didn't know 1.5.20110527 was already there and reverted to 1.5.

--
Andrea