Reusing APSL-/GPL-licensed code

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Jun 17 12:24:07 PDT 2011

Hi,

for my GSoC project, I would like to reuse code from Apple's cctools
package, in specific code from within otool[1].
The package is dual-licensed[2] under APSL 2.0[3] and GPL 2[4]. Since
MacPorts is BSD-licensed and APSL 2.0 and BSD don't seem compatible (I'm
not an expert on licenses, correct me if I'm mistaken here) and GPL 2 is
definitely not BSD-compatible, is there a way I can reuse that code?

I'm thinking of paragraph 4 in the APSL:

> 4.	Larger Works. You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered
> Code with other code not governed by the terms of this License and
> distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In each such instance,
> You must make sure the requirements of this License are fulfilled for
> the Covered Code or any portion thereof.

Is it possible to use this code within MacPorts? Are there any
precedents for this case?

Regards, Clemens

[1] if you must know in detail, the files in question are
	http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/cctools/cctools-800/otool/ofile_print.c
	http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/cctools/cctools-800/otool/main.c and
	http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/cctools/cctools-800/libstuff/ofile.c
	and their dependencies.