Reusing APSL-/GPL-licensed code

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 17 15:23:42 PDT 2011

On Jun 17, 2011, at 14:24, Clemens Lang wrote:

> for my GSoC project, I would like to reuse code from Apple's cctools
> package, in specific code from within otool[1].
> The package is dual-licensed[2] under APSL 2.0[3] and GPL 2[4]. Since
> MacPorts is BSD-licensed and APSL 2.0 and BSD don't seem compatible (I'm
> not an expert on licenses, correct me if I'm mistaken here) and GPL 2 is
> definitely not BSD-compatible, is there a way I can reuse that code?
>
> I'm thinking of paragraph 4 in the APSL:
>
>> 4.	Larger Works. You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered
>> Code with other code not governed by the terms of this License and
>> distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In each such instance,
>> You must make sure the requirements of this License are fulfilled for
>> the Covered Code or any portion thereof.
>
> Is it possible to use this code within MacPorts? Are there any
> precedents for this case?

I am not a lawyer, and I don't think I understand all the implications of that license mumbo-jumbo. The standard advice is to talk to a lawyer. You might be able to get an answer from Apple's legal department.

http://www.apple.com/legal/contacts.html

I'm not sure which of the contacts on that page would be applicable, however.