[GSoC] libelf license

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Jun 23 01:22:48 PDT 2011

Hello Felipe,

please get in touch with Clemens as he already did some otool hacking
for his rev-upgrade project. Currently he is looking into using code
from otool and discussin license options with Apple Legal.

On 2011-06-23 01:00 , Felipe Tanus wrote:
> In this project, I need to develop Tcl extensions to check a binary
> architecture and dynamic libraries. Of course we could use otool, but
> we are aim for performance.

Clemens is currently using an approach using exec/regex until we can
resolve the issue. So maybe that's an option for you, too. For example,
you could be using "lipo -info".

> To this task, I would like to use libelf. It's currently licensed
> under LGPL [1]. Do we have a license issue here?

LGPL would definitely be a license issue as MacPorts is licensed under BSD.

> [1] http://www.mr511.de/software/COPYING

What you linked here is the GPL, not the LGPL!

Rainer