[GSoC] libelf license

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Thu Jun 23 02:54:17 PDT 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 4:22 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

>> To this task, I would like to use libelf. It's currently licensed
>> under LGPL [1]. Do we have a license issue here?
>
> LGPL would definitely be a license issue as MacPorts is licensed under BSD.

What is the "license issue" please?

While I can understand that there may be preference in keeping
MacPorts as solely a BSD license, that is an "issue" but not
a "license issue" per se (i.e. there is nothing in the licensing
that prevents a *BSD program linking a LGPL library.)

Is the "issue" solely that MacPorts has chosen to be "BSD only"? Or
is there some legal incompatibility?

73 de Jeff