[GSoC] libelf license

Felipe Tanus fotanus at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:52:39 PDT 2011

2011/6/23 Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org>:
> Hello Felipe,
>
> please get in touch with Clemens as he already did some otool hacking
> for his rev-upgrade project. Currently he is looking into using code
> from otool and discussin license options with Apple Legal.

Thank you for point that. I'm already talking with him, but I have a
secret desire to build a very simple tool instead of get otool
gigantic and possible unneeded code :-) Anyway, I'm already in touch
with him.

> On 2011-06-23 01:00 , Felipe Tanus wrote:
>> In this project, I need to develop Tcl extensions to check a binary
>> architecture and dynamic libraries. Of course we could use otool, but
>> we are aim for performance.
>
> Clemens is currently using an approach using exec/regex until we can
> resolve the issue. So maybe that's an option for you, too. For example,
> you could be using "lipo -info".

That's what I currently do. :-)

>> To this task, I would like to use libelf. It's currently licensed
>> under LGPL [1]. Do we have a license issue here?
>
> LGPL would definitely be a license issue as MacPorts is licensed under BSD.

Oh, that's bad. Ok, thank you.

>> [1] http://www.mr511.de/software/COPYING
>
> What you linked here is the GPL, not the LGPL!

Sorry for the wrong link; the correct one is
http://www.mr511.de/software/COPYING.LIB-2.0

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus at gmail.com
Blog: http://www.itlife.com.br
Site: http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~fotanus/
-----
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." - Gandalf