How to remove a port from MacPorts?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 6 14:14:18 PST 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 15:59, Marko Käning wrote:

> it turns out that I want to remove a port from MacPorts.
>
> How is the workflow here?
>
> Is it enough to simply remove it's directory from the MacPorts tree using "svn rm porf-dir"?

Yes, that's how you would remove a port.

Note that everybody who already has the port installed will receive no notification that the port has been deleted from the tree, and will continue to have the port installed forever, or until they manually decide to "sudo port uninstall" it.

What is the port? Is there or will there be a replacement for it in MacPorts? If so, don't delete the port immediately, but keep it around for a year or so as a stub port marked as "replaced_by" whatever the replacement port is.