Filesize in Portfiles (was Re: [76684] trunk/dports/sysutils/rpm/Portfile)

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Mar 8 11:47:41 PST 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> Isn't size useful so you can differentiate between a truncated download and a broken file?

Sure, but that should be an implementation detail.  If you do a port fetch, say, and interrupt it 3/4 of the way through, it might detect this and do the equivalent of a curl -C, but that would still not be user visible (other than taking a lot less time the 2nd time around).  Of course, that leaves open the question of what to do if the resulting file does not pass the checksum - do you silently throw it away and start over, or do you just throw the usual error (potentially bogusly), or what?   This is why the KISS principle was first formulated, I think. :-)

- Jordan