Google Summer of Code 2011: MacPorts has been accepted

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Mar 18 12:25:36 PDT 2011

Hello,

this is just a quick announcement that MacPorts once again has been
accepted into the Google Summer of Code program. If you are not already
familiar with this: Google pays students to work on various Open Source
projects over the summer. It is also a good start for students with Open
Source development. MacPorts is taking part in this program every year
since 2007.

As a student accepted into or enrolled in a college, university or
masters programs you may apply to work on MacPorts for this summer and
get $5000 USD as compensation. There is no requirement for any
contribution to MacPorts or other Open Source projects before, it is
only expected that you show us the motivation to work on your task.

But to support the students we also need mentors, who will discuss the
task with the student and give advice during implementation. Especially
there is nobody yet available for the MacPorts GUI, which has been
developed as part of the program in the last years. It would be nice to
be able to improve this even more so we can finally include it with the
disk image install. I hope there is an interested Cocoa developer among us.

We have a list of ideas with possible tasks for MacPorts and additional
information about the application process:
  http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode

Looking forward to yet another Summer of Code,
Rainer