Devtools opensource release

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 21 03:08:06 PDT 2011

On Mar 21, 2011, at 04:30, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> http://opensource.apple.com/release/developer-tools-40/
>>
>> so ... do we build/ship our own set of tools?
>>
>> (it would be a bunch of new/extra work, but we could at least fix the /usr/local problem)
>
> Why would you build your own Xcode,

Presumably we're looking for solutions to the problem greatly discussed on the list recently, that Xcode seems no longer to be free as of version 4.

> and what is the /usr/local problem ?

Presumably the one where gcc looks in /usr/local for things by default even when we did not request it, leading to our sometimes inconvenient mantra that users must not have anything in /usr/local.

Even if we were able to fix the compiler to no longer look there, I doubt we could revise our position on the matter, given how many software packages have /usr/local hardcoded in their lists of places to look for things.