Handing over the sources of Porticus

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Mar 24 14:58:36 PDT 2011

Chris Jones wrote:

>> There should be a symlink at this place. Both the disk image and source
>> installation should add this symlink. This has been changed with 1.9.0:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12943
>> http://trac.macports.org/changeset/65055
>
> Well, all I can say is I don't have this. I don't know exactly when my macports installation dates back to, but I suspect it has been upgraded from something like 1.8 or older, via 'port selfupdate'....
>
> So, short of reinstalling completely, whats the best way to fix this.

For Pallet:

Use "/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl" (new) instead of "/Library/Tcl" (old)

The compat symlink is only created when using the .pkg (not selfupdate)
and is only when installing as root and for use with "outside" Tcl programs.

i.e. so you can include MacPorts, without modifying your Tcl search path

Back in the day, it used to be a good idea to install MacPorts to the
system directories like /Library/Tcl and /Applications since those
were hard-coded in some places and didn't require the user to peek
inside (or set up any search paths to) the ${prefix} directory...

We've gotten rid of using /Library/Frameworks and /Library/Tcl now,
so it's just the /Applications/MacPorts dir straggling along still.
(it "should" be using /opt/local/Applications, if it was to be inside
the installation prefix and not using a regular system location ?)

For instance: Fink uses /sw/Applications, for its .app bundles.

If using non-root, same applies but ~ vs. ~/.macports/opt/local

--anders