Fwd: [GSoC][rev-upgrade] proposal

Felipe Tanus fotanus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:04:57 PDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Felipe Tanus <fotanus at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: [GSoC][rev-upgrade] proposal
To: Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org>

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
> My intention here was that walking the filesystem over all binaries and
> libraries takes time, checking them takes time, too. If a build breaks,
> doing all the checks again can be cumbersome. The previous calculated
> result could probably be reused under certain circumstances, for example
> no changes to registry. Gentoo's revdep-rebuild is able to store results
> and can continue where it left off.

Agreed. revdep-rebuild does something similar than what I suggested,
but it's smarter.

> I am not saying this is a requirement for this task. I just suggested
> that to give you something to think about in case it's too straight
> forward ;-)

Thank you for add something to my proposal. I'll certainly propose
that feature too, because I believe it can be done in the GSoC time.

Please let me know if you think in anything else.

[]'s

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus at gmail.com
Blog: http://www.itlife.com.br
Site: http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~fotanus/
-----
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." - Gandalf

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus at gmail.com
Blog: http://www.itlife.com.br