GSoC idea: MacPorts GUI

Stefan Hoffmann stefhoff at go4more.de
Wed Mar 30 12:20:16 PDT 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 08:58 PM, Per Österlund wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 3:09 PM, stefhoff at go4more.de
> <mailto:stefhoff at go4more.de> wrote:
>
>> ah i wanted to send it to the list, but it looks like i have clicked
>> wrong ;) but nevermind
>> hm but you always need authorization. and that is actual my problem.
>> The Security Stuff is really difficult.
>>
>> I have only experience in objective-c/Cocoa, but not in tcl.
>>
>> i have some ideas :)
>>  -  maybe rename it to iPort? i would like the name and also in my
>> freetime i designed a icon:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1659663/iPort.png
>>  -  a background worker who search for new versions of ports and if
>> new versions found asks the user to update
>>  -  maybe a rating system for ports (like 5-star rating)
>>  -  comments for ports from other users
>>  -  synchronization service (to synchronize your port installations
>> with other macs)
>>  -  a welcome page or something (like on the dashboard to place
>> widgets on for example new ports, best rating, most downloads, ...)
>>  -  easier port submission (a input form where you can fill in all
>> your informations like name, homepage and download locations and when
>> the user submits it the port must be confirmed by a maintainer)
>>  -  Automatic updates for the application and macports
>> (http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/ and maybe also with user
>> statistics?
>> <http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/%20and%20maybe%20also%20with%20user%20statistics?>)
>>

>> Thats all for now. :)
>>

> You only need to subscribe to the mailing list to be able to post to
> it. Make sure you are sending from the right email also. I had similar
> issues.
>
> I like the idea of a background searcher for already downloaded and/or
> installed ports.
>
> Personally I believe the user behaviour is a bit different when using
> MacPorts than when using App Store. When they want to use MacPorts
> they already know what they are going to download, whereas browsing
> for something you like is a bigger thing on App Store. So I think
> sections for comments and ratings, as well as views for most
> downloaded ports is excessive, and would not directly add to the feel
> of the application. The user of MacPorts is (I think) generally a bit
> more experienced and less likely to act on impulse.
>
> I think it's going to be a problem syncronizing ports on your macs,
> because the hardware may differ in a way that makes it unhandy.
> Besides I think the average MAcPorts user is familliar with what
> he/she needs for his computer(s).
>
> Further I've seen Apple removing every bit of front page or welcome
> page, to give direct focus on the content. I think that is a good
> standard to follow even in this project.
>
> Sorry if I'm being all negative about your idea. It is not my intent.
> I'm just trying to grasp what the users need and what is simply a
> "cool feature".
>
> - Per

Ok, thats no problem :)
It was just all i got in mind. I also like a background worker.
The Background Process should do following things:
  -  search for new versions of ports
  -  if a new version found ask the user to update it (maybe we should
also add a checkbox in a preference window to auto confirm this question?)
  -  if the user confirms update it
  -  if the user wants to install a port the gui sends a for example
notification to the background process and he will begin to install it
  -  the same for uninstall

The Background Process could be displayed in the Menu bar as an Icon and
when you click on it, a information about the current work with progress
and the following tasks.

Stefan Hoffmann
stefhoff at go4more.de