scapy + py26-scapy

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Mon May 9 06:34:45 PDT 2011

On Mon, 9 May 2011 05:27:22 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On May 9, 2011, at 03:40, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> Why do we have 'scapy' (which uses python25) and also 'py26-scapy'?
>> It
>> looks like Scapy is an application that happens to use python, so
>> there
>> should only be one port (possibly with variants to select a python
>> version if there's a good reason to want to change.)
>>
>> The py25-foo, py26-foo etc. naming convention should be used for
>> ports
>> that install a python module that will be used by other things,
>> potentially using different python versions.
>
> Sounds right to me. Mark py26-scapy as replaced_by scapy, update
> scapy to 2.2.0 and use python27 or provide python variants if
> necessary.
>
> See also:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/24425
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#replaced-by

Scapy can also be used as a framework to build other network processing
tools (see Wifitap or
http://www.secdev.org/projects/scapy/build_your_own_tools.html), but
since we don't have any of those in macports it isn't an issue at this
time to have just one scapy port...  I created the py26-scapy port
because I was using it via import and didn't want to re-install py25 for
it.

Thanks,
Eric