chroots for testing other OS versions

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Nov 18 14:12:44 PST 2011

On Nov 18, 2011, at 5:08 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
> It definitely needs some love, but I think it still works. Running with
> -t applies restrictions to all build phases; all access is denied to
> anything that isn't either in the list of "system" locations or provided
> by a declared dependency, and write access is denied outside of the
> workpath.
>
> Things that need doing:
>
> * modern interposing (#29228)
> * add a mechanism to allow flexibly specifying (globally and per-port)
> sets of files and how they should be treated, e.g. allow/deny for r/w/x
> * I suspect it may not wrap every function it should

If anyone out there is in need of a project - working on this is something that could really benefit MacPorts (not only for the buildbot, but it would be really cool if we could get it to the point that it was always used when configuring/building ports. On end-user machines it would fix most of the problems we sometimes see where ports built on an end-user system end up having problems due to linking with random libraries in /usr/local or picking up unexpected dependencies from other installed ports).

--
Daniel J. Luke