depends_run

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 27 18:16:36 PST 2011

On Nov 27, 2011, at 16:02, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> From "man portfile":
>   "List of dependencies to check before destroot, install and package targets."
>
> Wouldn't "activate" and package" targets be better choices?

Possibly.... I don't know what the code currently does.

> Actually, have a depends for each stage feels right.

If by "stage" you mean "phase" (i.e. configure, build, destroot, etc.), then I don't think we need to change this. For one thing, there is no "run" phase. depends_run is for dependencies that are needed after a port is installed. (Are you suggesting we rename depends_run to depends_activate?) And depends_build is for dependencies that are only needed to build the port; it doesn't matter to MacPorts or to the user if they're needed at patch, configure, build, or destroot time; all that matters is that the user is allowed to uninstall build dependencies after the port has been successfully installed (and that build dependencies aren't needed when installing binaries). depends_lib is for libraries and other software that is needed both at build time and at runtime.

By that logic I'm not sure we needed separate depends_fetch or depends_extract... yet I like them. I haven't fully thought about why. I guess you want to be able to run "sudo port fetch foo" without having to install all of a port's build dependencies, even if the port has special fetching dependencies. I just don't see that there's any need to distinguish between configure, build and destroot dependencies.