depends_run

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Mon Nov 28 08:51:00 PST 2011

On Nov 27, 2011, at 6:16 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2011, at 16:02, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>> From "man portfile":
>>  "List of dependencies to check before destroot, install and package targets."
>>
>> Wouldn't "activate" and package" targets be better choices?
>
> Possibly.... I don't know what the code currently does.
>

>> Actually, have a depends for each stage feels right.
>
> If by "stage" you mean "phase"

Yes, that is what I meant.

> (i.e. configure, build, destroot, etc.), then I don't think we need to change this. For one thing, there is no "run" phase. depends_run is for dependencies that are needed after a port is installed. (Are you suggesting we rename depends_run to depends_activate?) And depends_build is for dependencies that are only needed to build the port; it doesn't matter to MacPorts or to the user if they're needed at patch, configure, build, or destroot time; all that matters is that the user is allowed to uninstall build dependencies after the port has been successfully installed (and that build dependencies aren't needed when installing binaries). depends_lib is for libraries and other software that is needed both at build time and at runtime.
>
> By that logic I'm not sure we needed separate depends_fetch or depends_extract... yet I like them. I haven't fully thought about why. I guess you want to be able to run "sudo port fetch foo" without having to install all of a port's build dependencies, even if the port has special fetching dependencies. I just don't see that there's any need to distinguish between configure, build and destroot dependencies.

The sqlgrey port does not need postfix to run but it is used by postfix to filter connections. The sqlgrey port could be installed and tested without postfix installed. When building in a second MP install startup items collide. I'm looking for a way to build ports that only depend on another port to be "loaded" as in "port load".

I will continue to work around these small issues.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)