lib release

Daniel Ericsson deric at macports.org
Sun Apr 8 04:34:43 PDT 2012

Moving this discussion to macports-dev.

On 8 apr 2012, at 13:16, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2012, at 06:12, Daniel Ericsson wrote:
>
>> I'd make a distinction between ports that only supply an end user binary and those that supply a library that can be developed against. Doesn't feel unreasonable to me to add debug variants to ports that supply libraries with the understanding that a developer that want to use that library with it's debug functionality, has to do a requested install of it.
>
> We do have the "installs_libs" boolean now. We assume yes; we haven't added "installs_libs no" to all such ports yet but we should.

I remember reading about a way to generate a new Portfile from a template. I've looking in the guide and grepped the man pages but can't find it. My recollection is this template-file was rather sparse.

I wouldn't mind augmenting this file and even maybe to make couple of variants of it for different PortGroups to capture those decisions and variables that need to be codified when a port is first included in the tree.

cheers,
-- Daniel