Ignore MisbehavingServers rather than fail with an error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 8 04:42:32 PDT 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:26, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I think he was going off the mime type (HTML).
>>
>> Ah yeah, that distinguishes it from stealth updates anyway.
>
> Yes. My patch assumes that if the downloaded file is HTML (according to the "file" command), but does not have an .htm or .html extension on its name, then it is a misbehaving DNS server.
>
> Do you anticipate a broken proxy causing a problem? How so?

Since the above was the end of this thread in January, and the only other response, from Daniel, was in favor of making this change, I filed a ticket to track it:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33930

And tested and committed the change:

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/91701

You reverted it minutes later:

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/91702

You added in the ticket that you still disagree with this for all the reasons originally stated in the original ticket two years ago -- reasons you did not raise again in this thread in January. You asked one question which I answered, and raised a second concern about proxy servers, which I did not understand and asked for clarification on, which you never provided. I assumed there were no further objections.

I find it rude and upsetting that you reverted my change rather than initiating a continuation of this thread yourself. Let's discuss it now. (Or, tomorrow; I need to sleep.) I want this change in MacPorts 2.1.0. Please help me understand what your objections are.