macports 2.0.4 breaks the usage of clang on Xcode 4.3.2

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sun Apr 8 09:06:44 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 11:44:21AM -0400, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> > While this seems to work, we really need a setting in macports.conf to allow the user to
> > disable binary downloads by defeult. Besides the issue of the wrong compiler being used,
> > many folks would like to avoid the ancient llvm in llvm-gcc and use the most current
> > llvm in the newest clang compilers. The code generation is bound to be much improved.
>
> There are things like this already committed in the trunk of MacPorts.

Perhaps MacPorts should consider separate binary repos for 10.4/10.5 and 10.7/10.8. If all
of the binaries are built on Snow Leopard, this prevents those binary MacPorts packages from
being built against the fortified 10.7 SDK and linked with -pie so that those executables won't
leverage ASLR on Lion. This really does represent a security regression introduced by MacPorts
2.0.4.
           Jack