Fwd: package installation fails with Homebrew

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Apr 11 04:33:53 PDT 2012

On 2012-4-11 21:05 , Elmar Stellnberger wrote:
> Dear Maintainers of MacPorts,
>
>  It would be very nice if macports supported to compile a certain set
> of base packages
> without having to install the full bloated Xcode environment (which
> consumes too much
> disk space on my computer). Kenneth Reitz`s homebrew gcc would to my mind be a
> good light-weight alternative. It is very annoying that many packages
> compile well but
> then just fail on installation like gcc47 and darwinbuild.
>  autobuild, apple-gcc42 and mc are doing well yet, on the other hand.

If we start supporting a smaller toolchain package it will be the Xcode
Command Line Tools that were separated out in 4.3. The main problem that
needs to be solved in order to do that is that we check the Xcode
version when setting a lot of values, so we would either have to find a
way to derive an Xcode version from some property of the Command Line
Tools, or switch to checking tool versions directly.

Of course, some ports really do need xcodebuild(1) or other parts of the
full Xcode installation, and you simply wouldn't be able to build those
with just the Command Line Tools.

- Josh