package installation fails with Homebrew

Art McGee amcgee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:06:07 PDT 2012

Clearing up the confusion:

This person is referring to the Homebrew package manager.

He mistakenly thinks that because Homebrew works with only the
commandline tools installed, that MacPorts should as well.

As you stated, a full Xcode install is necessary.

Each package manager on OS X (MacPorts, Fink, Pkgsrc, Homebrew,
Prefix, Rubygems) has a different set of rules and requirements. You
must pay attention to the details for each.

Art