package installation fails with Homebrew

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Apr 13 02:33:50 PDT 2012

On 04/13/2012 04:06 AM, Art McGee wrote:
> Clearing up the confusion:
>
> This person is referring to the Homebrew package manager.
>
> He mistakenly thinks that because Homebrew works with only the
> commandline tools installed, that MacPorts should as well.

MacPorts *could* work with the command line tools only, but as far as I
know nobody is working on this yet. As I outlined earlier, we would
first have to track the dependencies to the parts not provided by the
command line tools in order to make sure we can properly report which
ports require a full Xcode installation if not available. Just letting a
build fail in this case is not an option.

I don't know how Homebrew does that, but guessing from their general
approach towards dependencies I assume they just don't care.

So for now, a full Xcode installation is required for MacPorts.

Rainer