Applications using python (and py*-gtk)

Thibaut Paumard mlotpot.news at free.fr
Fri Apr 13 07:41:41 PDT 2012

Hi,

I maintain 2 ports (yorick-yao and yorick-spydr) which depend on
py26-gtk, and I have recently submitted a third similar port
(yorick-cubeview, https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34013).

All those cases are similar: they really are Yorick applications with a
GUI written in python, using py-gtk. All three can be launched as a
stand-alone utility (which invokes yorick, which invokes python) or from
the yorick prompt.

Currently, the three ports depend on py26-gtk, in the naive hope that
"python" really is python2.6. The python interpreter is launched from
the script's shabang line:
   #!/usr/bin/env python

I think this is not correct and I should ensure the python that is used
really is the one for which I make sure py-gtk gets installed.

I could do that by patching the shabang line:
   #!/usr/bin/env python2.6

but before I do that, I would like to check whether you have better
suggestions, and perhaps which python version is the favoured one
nowadays (from what I see in python module ports, I'm guessing it must
be 2.7).

Best regards, Thibaut.