macports-gcc-XX and macports-clang-XX

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 00:50:43 PDT 2012

> Rather than hardcode every version of gcc and clang into base, we should
> support these configure.compiler options dynamically.  My tcl-foo isn't
> quite good enough to easily do that, but hopefully somebody has the magic
> necessary.  I just thought I'd throw it out there since the list of
> compilers will only grow over the coming years, and it sucks to have to
> wait for a new version of base to depend on a new compiler "the right way".

My idea of revamping the compiler options was to do this with a PortGroup
[1] that generates (in a uniform way) the different compiler variants.
Perhaps, something similar could be done at the base level, i.e. defer the
look up of until some from dports/_resources/port1.0 is executed (so that
the compiler definitions wouldn't have to wait until a base update). While
we're on the subject, what will be the official naming of all the
compilers? e.g. What should the variant for the option
(configure.compiler=)gcc-4.2 be? +system_gcc?

[1] -
https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/33890/multiplecompilers.patch