macports-gcc-XX and macports-clang-XX

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 18 07:34:49 PDT 2012

On Apr 16, 2012, at 20:38, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Rather than hardcode every version of gcc and clang into base, we should support these configure.compiler options dynamically.  My tcl-foo isn't quite good enough to easily do that, but hopefully somebody has the magic necessary.  I just thought I'd throw it out there since the list of compilers will only grow over the coming years, and it sucks to have to wait for a new version of base to depend on a new compiler "the right way".

That's an idea. But I think we can also continue to use things the way they are. We just have to be a little quicker about adding new options to base. For example, I just added gcc47 and gcc48 to base for MacPorts 2.1.0 beta 1, though gcc47 had been available already for a long time (as a pre-release). We should add a compiler to base as soon as the port is added, and not wait for it to become a final release. This also relies on us not waiting too long between releases of base, which isn't a bad idea anyway.