Bug with binary ports? (tar: +CONTENTS: Not found in archive)

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sat Apr 28 02:43:22 PDT 2012

> There are two possible reasons.
>
> 1. The archive was built by such an old version of MacPorts that it does not contain the CONTENTS file. Solution: clean and try again.
The archive was handled fine on the buildbot. (As I said, the two parallel installs on a different prefix work just fine with the portfile distributed by MacPorts' server.

> 2. The archive contains the CONTENTS file but your tar is gnutar. The tar on Snow Leopard and up is supposed to be bsdtar. Perhaps you replaced your tar with gnutar. Solution: put back bsdtar like it's supposed to be, or build MacPorts from the 2.1 branch; MacPorts was made compatible with gnutar in addition to bsdtar after the release of 2.1.0 beta 1.

I am running it on SL without gnutar:
---
$ which tar
/usr/bin/tar
---
( See also http://trac.macports.org/ticket/33717#comment:9 )

So, there must be at least a 3rd possible reason… That is why I initially started this thread, since I couldn't explain all this at all to myself. Could it be that buildbot itself creates a faulty binary tar file w/o the necessary +CONTENTS?