Bug with binary ports? (tar: +CONTENTS: Not found in archive)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 28 00:46:18 PDT 2012

On Apr 28, 2012, at 01:45, Marko Käning wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2012, at 8:55 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
>> Could someone proficient with binary ports have a look at
>>
>> 	http://trac.macports.org/ticket/33717
>>
>> please?
> I uninstalled gnutar again and the problem persists with my MacPorts installation standard prefix:
>
> ---
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> --->  MacPorts base is already the latest version
>
> The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
>  port upgrade outdated
> The following installed ports are outdated:
> ktoblzcheck                    1.37_0 < 1.38_0
> --->  Computing dependencies for ktoblzcheck
> --->  Installing ktoblzcheck @1.38_0
> Error: Target org.macports.install returned: tar: +CONTENTS: Not found in archive
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
> Log for ktoblzcheck is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_Users_marko_WC_MacPorts_ports_devel_ktoblzcheck/ktoblzcheck/main.log
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
> Error: No ports matched the given expression
> ---
>
> My other installations on different prefixes pull the sources just fine from MacPorts and untar them no problem.
>
> This is a problem with binary ports, I figure.
>
> Wondering what could be done to make it work.

There are two possible reasons.

1. The archive was built by such an old version of MacPorts that it does not contain the CONTENTS file. Solution: clean and try again.

2. The archive contains the CONTENTS file but your tar is gnutar. The tar on Snow Leopard and up is supposed to be bsdtar. Perhaps you replaced your tar with gnutar. Solution: put back bsdtar like it's supposed to be, or build MacPorts from the 2.1 branch; MacPorts was made compatible with gnutar in addition to bsdtar after the release of 2.1.0 beta 1.