No subject

Wed Aug 1 07:28:53 PDT 2012

be not to install
   /opt/local/bin/wx-config
at all (for no wxWidgetsXY), but to:
- create wxWidgets PortGroup which would:
  * provide ${wxconfigpath}, so that ports could use
--with-wx-config=${wxconfigpath}
  * make sure that wxWidgets 2.8 won't be used on ML, take care of
(non)universal binaries etc.
- create a special port ("wxWidgets-select +wxWidgets30") which would
make a symlink like
    /opt/local/bin/wx-config -> /opt/local/lib/wx/config/osx_cocoa-unicode-2.9
to make it easy for other software outside of macports to find the
desired wxWidgets version.

I would also like to see some guidelines for wxWidgets ports being summarized.

Some argued that +wxWidgetsWhatever should never be an option for a
port. In the case of gnuplot I don't exactly agree with that point of
view. If nothing else we need an option to switch dependency on
wxWidgets on and off. And as long as wxWidgets 2.8 is the default one
and conflicting with 2.9, I don't see any other way but to provide
several options to enable building with both.

> so from the easy end: wxWidgets26 is
> the previous stable version, quite old, and as far as I know, nobody uses it
> any more, it was created here due to some dependency need long time ago, may
> be deleted in the future.

Personally I would delete it straight away. It doesn't even compile
(last time I tried it didn't even come past the patching phase). But
that's an unrelated question.

What I really wish would be to have a port wxWidgets28 now that
wxWidgets30 has been created, that someone would remove the
conflicting files between the two and that all ports with dependency
on wxWidgets would depend on either of them instead of depending on
wxWidgets itself. The port wxWidgets could then be used to do things
like:
    port install wxWidgets +version28
which would depend on wxWidgets28 and install the symlinks to
wx-config from version 2.8.

Mojca

(PS: I would be inclined to call the version 2.9 wxWidgets29 rather
than 30 since all the files in wxWidgets will be renamed as the
version increases and ports depending on 30 will have to be rebuilt
once wxWidgets actually becomes 3.0. After the version actually
increases the port 29 could be replaced_by 30. But that is a different
and less relevant question. You may ignore this particular idea.)