[100265] trunk/dports/python

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 6 03:06:41 PST 2012

On Dec 6, 2012, at 05:00, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 04:58, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:

>>> The x11 variant and the default_variants line belong in there too; no need to have variants on the stub port.
>>
>> Oh ok! so the py-cairo does not install anything?
>
> Right; it's a stub port, whose only job is to install the default python version of the port, for users who didn't know they should specify a python version, or for users upgrading from a pre-unified version of the python 2.4 version of the port.
>
> All ports must install at least one file, so stub ports generally install a meaningless README containing a copy of the port's description, or a message saying the port is a stub port.

To further clarify:

Before unification, py-cairo used to be the python 2.4 version of the port. Now that py-cairo is a unified port, py-cairo is a stub port, and py24-cairo would be the python 2.4 version of the port if "24" were in python.versions, but since it's not, no python 2.4 version is available anymore. Which is fine by me if nothing depended on it since we're trying to get rid of python 2.4 in MacPorts.

$ port installed py-cairo
  py-cairo @1.10.0_0+x11 (active)
$ port contents py-cairo
Port py-cairo contains:
  /opt/local/share/doc/py-cairo/README
$ cat /opt/local/share/doc/py-cairo/README
py-cairo is a stub port
$

Watch your whitespace, by the way; you've got some tabs creeping into that previously space-only file.