[100265] trunk/dports/python

Aljaž Srebrnič g5pw at macports.org
Fri Dec 7 01:03:57 PST 2012

On 06/dic/2012, at 13:39, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 06:06, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
>
>> On 06/dic/2012, at 12:11, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 6, 2012, at 05:06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>

>>> Actually there is something that depends on py-cairo: py-gtk2. So that port will have to be deleted.
>>>
>>> And py-gtkmvc depends on py-gtk2. So that'll have to be deleted. Nothing depends on py-gtkmvc.
>>>
>>> And diffuse has a python24 variant which depends on py-gtk2. So that variant will have to be deleted.
>>>
>>> Unless you want to add "24" to python.versions in py-cairo and delete "python.default_version 27", and then change the aforementioned dependencies from py-cairo to py24-cairo. But I'd rather proceed with getting rid of python 2.4 things wherever we can.
>>
>> By the way, should I just svn rm it or deprecate it?
>
> "deprecated" means usable but not recommended, but because a python 2.4 version of py-cairo does not exist anymore, they're not actually usable anymore.

Understood.

> For py-gtk2, the most helpful would be if it could be turned into a unified port too. It's a bit unusual in that the other ports in the set are py25-gtk, py26-gtk and py27-gtk (not *-gtk2). So the new unified port would be py-gtk2. And in that case you might leave py-gtk2 around, marked as replaced_by py27-gtk.

I'll give it a try! I like the py-gtk2 port name, but that would mean marking all the py2*-gtk ports replaced_by py2-*gtk2...

> You could try unifying py-gtkmvc too and updating it to the newest version, but since only a Python 2.4 version exists now, and nothing depends on it, and the port hasn't been updated since January 2005, that suggests nobody uses this port, so you could also just "svn rm" it.

Agreed.

> After you delete the python24 variant of diffuse, anyone requesting that variant will instead get the default python27 variant. Anyone already having the port installed with +python24 will keep it, and it won't work anymore since the python 2.4 versions of the dependencies won't exist anymore. To avoid that you could increase the port's revision. But that would be an unnecessary rebuild for anyone with any of the other variants. So I'm inclined to recommend not increasing the revision, and just leaving any python24 stragglers to find out that they need to rebuild; it'll fix itself when the next version of diffuse is released and the port is updated.

I agree with you, if something happenes we can always file a bug with the instructions to rebuild the port...

--
Aljaž Srebrnič a.k.a g5pw
My public key:  http://bit.ly/g5pw_pubkey