Suggestion for new pseudo-portnames

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Feb 1 20:03:18 PST 2012

The recent RFC for making an alias action for active and inactive
reminded me of some queries that I frequently use when working with
ports.

Specifically, outdated ports that have been upgraded (redundant), and
uninstalled dependencies (outstanding).

redundant can currently be achieved with "actinact and inactive"

For example:
> port selfupdate
> port echo outdated
> port upgrade outdated

> port uninstall actinact and inactive
or rather
> port uninstall redundant

outstanding right now would be "rdepof:<port> and not installed"

For example:
> port echo outstanding:gimp
...very long list
^C
> forget this!

One quandary for "outstanding" is whether the rdep search should be
performed first, or should branches be pruned as soon as an installed
port is discovered? Maybe separate that question into "outstanding"
and "routstanding"?

There may be better names of course.

Is this worth submitting an issue to trac? Or, are these just
redundant names for queries that are already possible?

I'd like to start hacking on base myself, so I'll be looking at
port.tcl, but I don't anticipate having anything to submit anytime
soon, just in case anyone considers this such an amazing idea they
can't wait to implement it ;-).

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448