Suggestion for new pseudo-portnames

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Feb 2 02:01:59 PST 2012

Hello,

On 02/02/2012 05:03 AM, Arno Hautala wrote:
> Specifically, outdated ports that have been upgraded (redundant), and
> uninstalled dependencies (outstanding).

[...]

>> port uninstall actinact and inactive
> or rather
>> port uninstall redundant

Note there is already the port -u upgrade/uninstall option. However, I
think it would make sense to add this new redundant pseudo-port name.

For long term, it could probably replace the global -u option and
upgrade should get a local --delete-inactive flag.

> outstanding right now would be "rdepof:<port>  and not installed"

> For example:
>> port echo outstanding:gimp
> ...very long list
> ^C
>> forget this!
>
> One quandary for "outstanding" is whether the rdep search should be
> performed first, or should branches be pruned as soon as an installed
> port is discovered? Maybe separate that question into "outstanding"
> and "routstanding"?

This is a general problem for the handling of logical operators with
pseudo-ports. We always build large lists and then merge them. As we are
using a SQL-based registry, we could do more sophisticated queries for
this purpose.

> There may be better names of course.

I suggest the name missingdep:<port> for this.

> Is this worth submitting an issue to trac? Or, are these just
> redundant names for queries that are already possible?

I recommend to discuss new features and enhancements on the mailing list
and only file a ticket once we reached a consensus and settled for a
solution. This way, we can have the discussion with a broader audience
as more people follow the mailing list than specific tickets.

Rainer