VirtualBox and the missing ConsoleMessage command on Snow Leopard

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sun Feb 5 01:57:59 PST 2012

Hi Ryan,

On Jan 30, 2012, at 6:24 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2012, at 13:14, Marko Käning wrote:
>>> Why are you trying to start it using the startup item? Why not just double-click Virtual Box in the Applications folder?
>>
>> Because the startupitem wasn't installed by "port install virtualbox". So I had to do load the kernel modules manually and then double-click the application itself.
>
> Oh right, kernel module. Still, you're not supposed to access the startupitem directly; use "sudo port load VirtualBox" and "sudo port unload VirtualBox" to load and unload the launchd plist.

I know that I should use "port load", but the thing is that this actually fails, as you can see:
---
$ sudo port load virtualbox
Error: Target org.macports.load returned: Launchd plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.VirtualBox.plist was not found
Log for virtualbox is at: /opt/macports-test/var/macports/logs/_opt_macports-test_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_emulators_virtualbox/virtualbox/main.log
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
---

Looking into the log reveals
---
version:1
:debug:main Executing org.macports.main (virtualbox)
:debug:load load phase started at Sun Feb  5 10:45:57 CET 2012
:debug:load Executing org.macports.load (virtualbox)
:error:load Target org.macports.load returned: Launchd plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.VirtualBox.plist was not found
:debug:load Backtrace: Launchd plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.VirtualBox.plist was not found
    while executing
"$procedure $targetname"
:info:load Warning: the following items did not execute (for virtualbox): org.macports.load
:notice:load Log for virtualbox is at: /opt/macports-test/var/macports/logs/_opt_macports-test_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_emulators_virtualbox/virtualbox/main.log
---
that the plist file couldn't be found.

So, it looks like as if the virtualbox port didn't properly install it:
---
$ ls /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.*
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.rsyncd.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.slapd.plist
---

That is why I have to start the kernel modules manually via
---
/opt/macports-test/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox start
---

… before I can actually run virtualbox by clicking on its icon which calls
---
/opt/macports-test/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox
---

Greets,
Marko